Please contact your insurance provider prior to your first visit.

Some insurance plans have covered the costs of my services, while others have not.  Each plan is different.  Coverage is not consistent among individual/group plans.

This means, you will need to contact your insurance company directly to see if you are covered for services provided by a Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC), with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA).  

I do not directly bill insurance companies. This means you pay for your session and submit your receipt to your insurance provider for reimbursement. 

Request for Insurance: If your plan does not cover services provided by Canadian Certified Counsellors, you can make a request to your employer to adjust your plan. This is an easy adjustment to make with no cost to your employer. You are welcome to download the Insurance Request Form below to help you submit your request.